Saturday, December 3, 2011

Girls on the Run 5K

Today was so much fun! I ran the Girls on the Run 5K as a running buddy for a 6th grade girl named Araya (like A Ray Of Sunshine!). The 5K was the final phase of their 12 week training program and I was happy to be a part of it.

I arrived a little before 8:00am, located the Middle School team I was running for, found my girl, and took her over to the Goody hair station where she had pink stripes sprayed in her hair. We also got stickers and tattoos! It was fun and GIRLY!

The race started promptly at 9:00am. We were off and running. Dodging and passing people. I was curious to see how well Araya would run and how many times she would want to take walking breaks. But this girl rocked! I was so happy I was partnered up with her. She was one determined girl and wanted to RUN. We only took 2 quick 30 second walk breaks (one of which was a water break).

We kept up a comfortable 9.50 pace and finished in 30:28. We took 124th/125th place overall (out of 786). And I took 19th in my age group (out of 102).


The run felt great, 3.1 miles felt easy but during the run I kept reminding myself "you have to run this distance 3 times for the 15K." Yikes...I have some trainin' to do! Mentally and physically.

I got several compliments from strangers about my shirt.

A group of women from a local bootcamp class stopped me to comment on how cute my shirt was. I couldn't help but notice their fun shirts with different slogans such as "Our warmup is your workout," and "Suck it up Princess." Apparently part of their bootcamp class was running a 5K, how fun! I love bootcamp classes maybe I ought to look into their program.

0 comments: